Oh No They Didn't!: The Risk's Ashley Baptiste quit show for Jesus as uneasy with Halloween theme

Posted in 30 October 2011
by Admin.



Oh No They Didn't!
Oh No They Didn't! - LiveJournal.com
The Risk's Ashley Baptiste quit show for Jesus as uneasy with Halloween theme
Oct 30th 2011, 12:30

THE Risk’s Ashley Baptiste quit because last night’s Halloween theme went against his Christian faith. The Cambridge graduate, 22, said he felt uneasy celebrating the holiday as it had its roots in pagan rituals.
A show source said Ashley had ­struggled to fit in because of his faith and added: “He’s on a ­different ­wavelength to the rest. He doesn’t want to upset his ­bandmates but knows this is for the best.” Ashley, who lives in South London, tweeted: “I love The Risk but am not in the right place to commit. I love the boys and all you amazing people.” Ashford Campbell, of ousted band Nu Vibe, was drafted in as a replacement when Ashley quit on Thursday.
source Also, a nice bit from politicshome.com about how he's working with Southwark Council to help kids in care realise their potential.  Complete with endorsement by his local MP. (Simon Hughes. lol)

"Many friends and colleagues in Bermondsey and other parts of South London know Ashley very well and are big Ashley fans. I spoke to Ashley this morning. He has made a brave but really honourable decision. Deep down he always wanted to be a singer and songwriter on his own rather than be in a band. By stepping back now he has made sure he does not harm the long term prospects of the other guys in The Risk while being true to himself. I really believe his musical talents are already becoming known, and a great career can lie ahead of him."

Admirable sentiments, but why the Hughes interest? Well, the MP has known Ashley ever since he started secondary school in Southwark and has followed his progress through foster care... Ashley on the local authority:

"They weren't keen on me going at all. They thought it would be too expensive and I needed to keep on my flat in London as well as paying for student digs. If it wasn't for my MP, Simon Hughes fighting for me, I wouldn't have got the support I needed to go. I don't feel bitter about it at all. They are constrained by bureaucracy. They have to follow the rules. They made it harder for me to go, but I knew I was never going to settle for not going."

So that is nice and inspirational.
I'd heard of the Hallow'een objection before, but had no idea that was his reason tbh.

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this feed at blogtrottr.com.
If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe from this feed, or manage all your subscriptions